Friday, August 26, 2016

Row by Row Design for Stitcher's Quest

This spring I had the opportunity to help out a quilt store called Stitcher's Quest in Fort Walton Beach in Florida with their Row by Row pattern.


The Row by Row Experience is an international program (throughout the US, Canada and Europe) where each participating shops designs a quilt row pattern that is distributed free to customers throughout the summer.  Each row may be horizontal or vertical and finishes at 8" x 36".  Quilters visit different stores throughout the summer to collect the patterns and combine them together into a quilt.

The 2016 theme was Home Sweet Home, and each shop worked with that theme theme in their row.  Stitcher's Quest wanted to incorporate 3 things into their row: a white sand beach, houses, and some F35 jets to represent the nearby Air Force base.  

After playing around with some different options and going through some different iterations we settled on a horizontal layout with the background (sand, water, sky) and the houses being traditionally pieced and the palm tree and jets being appliqued.

Stitcher's Quest found some great fabrics that worked really well for each of the parts of the design.  I added quilting to highlight and give texture to different parts of the quilt. 


Below is a picture the Stitcher's Quest display area (along with some of my Meadow Mist designs patterns :)


I had such a great time working to make Stitcher's Quest's vision into a quilt and pattern.  Thank you again Judy for allowing me to design and create a Row by Row pattern for you!




20 comments:

  1. Love the silhouette jets, really eye catching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the theme and your take on it Cheryl! It feels very Florida to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic. I love it! I know a few friends that would love that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Cheryl! The display looks amazing, and I love the row you designed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Row by Row pattern and I love seeing it displayed with your patterns. I definitely want to visit this lovely quilt shops.

    QuiltShopGal
    www.quiltshopgal.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you know if they will make the kit available after the time out period? We're F-35 people here in Fort Worth, so this needs to be in our home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the row. It would work well here in So Cal too. Top Gun! And Row by Row is almost over. Sigh. Where did the summer go?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having finished a row by row quilt for the second year, most of the patterns I have collected have been 9 inches by 36 inches. In this way, you can easily mix horizontal and vertical rows. For the person above who asked if kits will be available, both patterns and kits are usually available by mail after Nov. 1st.
    I do love your design for the row by row. You incorporated all the elements beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful row Cheryl! I especially love the palm tree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great design! The display of your patterns is awesome! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really lovely. very very impressive

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very fun design. You nailed their requirements!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute row! I did Row by Row last year and it was so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did Row by Row this year as well, and your row is so well designed. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this, Cheryl. I love how you were able to perfectly incorporate what they wanted into your pattern. And how awesome that they are displaying your patterns with the row.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job with the design! The row looks wonderful, Cheryl!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  17. It made me really curious to see the jets. The row turned out great Cheryl! I love the display with your patterns - you must get quite a kick out of seeing that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great row! Wish I lived closer. (I cannot drop in from Nova Scotia, lol)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!